What is SymbioSYS

Official announcements and news

What is SymbioSYS

Postby Admin » 28 Jan 2009, 07:01

[ What is SymbioSYS ]
- SymbioSYS is a HUGE and very ambitious project, powered by Story Factory.
It consists of four differend things, all SymbioSYS related: a Game, a Book, Pictures and the Music.
I am also considering the idea of making some animations...
- Right now, i (Cristi Constantin) am the only person working for this project. The only big problem is have is TIME... The sooner the game it's finished, the better...

[ Game History ]
- When i started to work at SymbioSYS, in 2002, i had no computer and absolutely no idea what C++, or Visual Basic mean. I was just writing game logics in a big notebook, while trying to imagine how the code would look like in a programming language...
- In 2004 i got my first computer, an AMD K6 II (500 MHz) with 128 MB SRAM. I've learned the basics on that computer.
- In 2005 i made my first C++ and Visual Basic programs. I started making a very basic version of SymbioSYS in C++, console. I had to download hundreds of free source programs to be able to understand how to code. That year i also upgraded my computer to an AMD Athlon 1200 and 256 MB SDRAM.
- In 2006 i started to write first lines of code for a graphical SymbioSYS. First, i used Visual Basic and DXG engine, but since the language was very obscure and hard to understand, i simply couldn't find enough sources to teach me the depths of the language, i switched to C++ and started coding again, from scratch.
C++ is really complex, there are a lot of serious resources on the internet and more than that: there is HGE graphical engine.
The same year i tried to make the game in DarkBasic, GameMaker, Flash with ActionScript, PHP and Java... (i think there were more) but none of them made me happy...
- In 2007 i upgraded my computer even more and then i discovered Python... and fell in love with it INSTANTLY. In less than one week, i read about 5-6 books. Once again, i started the project from scratch, this time in Python. Now, when i say "SymbioSYS", i also imagine the word "Python" near it.
- In 2008 all the skills, races, most of the items were done, in "ini" and python format. No graphics yet.
Also, i tried to make the game in PyGame, Ika and FIFE, all Python packages. I completely ignored the graphical part and focused on game engine.

[ Game Concept ]
- I played A LOT and i mean A LOT of games before starting my own. I was in college and i had a lot of time... I played games with great graphics and good sound... I also played literally tens of on-line games (MUD, Mush, Browser based, Tick based, RPGs, strategy... you name it).
- First conclusion I've come to : most important is the gameplay and the atmosphere.
- Second conclusion : most of the games don't worth the time and since all the games are specially designed to waste your time, i started to believe that spending time playing a quality game probably isn't such a bad idea.
- SymbioSYS is a game where all the monsters and NPC behave naturally. They all need to eat, drink, sleep. They interact with each other and with the player. Everyone has a story.
- Also, by making this project, I want to prove that you can do whatever you want, if you really want it! I started to work on SymbioSYS before i even had a computer. I learned programming all by myself, from books and examples on internet.
- Yet, before you play this game, or another one, NEVER forget: a computer game is only meant to waste your time and it might destroy your social life. Real life is great, there are sunsets, there are flowers, there are good friends and sexy girls you can spend your time with... If one day you find out that you are really addicted by a game, WAKE UP !!! Don't let a stupid game (no matter how good it is, it's still just stupid game) to ruin your life. Real life is out there... always better.

[ Game Features ]
- There are about 200 races in the game (humanoinds, angels, demons, undead, birds, animals, dragons, golems...). The player can reincarnate into about 50 of them at the beggining of the game and morph into any of them, upon becoming a God.
- There are no classes like warrior, mage, thief, or priest. You can learn any basic skill (weaponry, martial arts, archery, protection), but special skills (ancient lore, dark arts, technology, knighthood, summoning) can only be learned after joining a TA. There are also a few secret skills you can discover while playing.
- There are a lot of items: normal and magical, equipment sets, all kinds of weapons (swords, axes, spears, maces, whips, bows, guns and so on), shields, helmets, earrings, bracers, rings, gloves, amulets, belts, boots. More than that, you can wear items like blouses, pants, symbionts and wings. And that's not all ! ANY item can be used as weapon or shield, if you are big enough and strong enough to use it... a book, a pan, a table, or why not, a refrigerator.
- There are 3 inventories (pack, belt, magical rift) and 2 equipments (sheaths and worn items), so you can easily organize your items.
- You can craft or forge your own items and personalize them, then, you can try to make them magical upon becoming Demi-God. And if you are lucky enough to create an indestructible item, don't forget to post your performance on the forum! Everyone should see what you have accomplished!
- You can join a TA, a city, or become a member of an organisation. Joining organisations can be very rewarding, but don't expect to be treated like a king as soon as you join in! Try to gain trust and respect and the results will deserve the waiting.
- You can be the bad guy, hacking and slashing everywhere, or be the good guy, always helping people. Some TAs, cities and organisations require you to act in a certain way, so choose your friends carefully. Keep in mind that it is perfectly possible to play the game without killing anyone.
- The game can be played by only using the mouse, or only using the keyboard, in the same way. The graphical interface and the command console are completely independent and can be used separately, or alternatively with the exact same effect.
- If you play the game 5 times, with different TAs, the game will be completely different. Feel free to experiment everything.
- A lot of quest await for you. Talk to people, everyone has a story.
- At first, you are a mortal. Then, you can become Demi-God. And if you are worthy... you can become a mighty God (you will not need food, drink or sleep, you will be able to teleport, fly, become invisible or immaterial, morph into any race).
- If you are a boy and you like a girl and she likes you back, you can marry her. Same thing applies if you are a girl: you could find yourself a husband.
------------
-Administration
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Announcements and News